Have you noticed that there are few women in history? And that there are even fewer lesbians? Jo Lewis plans to help change this and wants lesbians to talk about their histories, even create a ‘herstory’. She would like lesbians to have their voices heard equally, to claim their part of our shared past. Pride in Plymouth has a long running, award winning, LGBT archive that needs more lesbian voices.
In Other Words is a Vital Sparks funded project seeking to provide new and more established LGBT+
writers for the stage in Plymouth with a crucial creative resource.
In September 2015 we commissioned five writers to write a 10 minute play using reference material from our LGBT Community Archive.
The selected writers will:
• Write a ten minute play
• Attend a workshop at Plymouth’s LGBT Archive
• Work with a dramaturg to produce drafts of writing
• Attend development sessions with actors and a director
• Learn how to deliver a community workshop
• Lead a workshop with an identified community in Plymouth
There will be a public reading of the Plays at the Barbican Theatre (Pkymouth) as part of the From Devon With Love Festival (January 2016) and a further rehearsed reading as part of LGBT History Month (February 2016).